4 1/2 cups red pumpkin (kaddu) cubes
4 1/2 cups potato cubes
2 bayleaves (tejpatta)
12 mm. (1/2″) stick cinnamon (dalchini)
2 cloves (laung / lavang)
2 cardamoms (elaichi)
1 tsp nigella seeds (kalonji)
1/2 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
1/2 tsp fenugreek (methi) seeds
2 tbsp curds (dahi)
1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing)
1 tsp chilli powder
2 tsp coriander-cumin seeds (dhania-jeera) powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tomato , chopped
1 tsp dried mango powder (amchur)
1/2 tsp sugar
3 tbsp ghee
salt to taste
- Heat the ghee and fry the bay leaves, cinnamon, cloves, cardamoms, nigella seeds, mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds until the seeds begin to crackle.
- Add the curds, asafoetida, chilli, coriander-cumin seed and turmeric powders and fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the potatoes, pumpkin and ½ cup of water, cover and cook on a medium heat for 10 to 12 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the amchur powder, sugar and salt.
- Serve hot.