2 tblsp panch phoron
1/2 kg sugar
salt to taste
2 red chillies whole
1 tsp oil
1/2 kg tomatoes
1 tsp tamarind pulp
How to make tomato chatni :
* Wash and cut the tomatoes into quarters.
* Soak the tamarind in warm water for few minutes.
* Take off the pulp of the tamarind, strain and keep it aside.
* Prepare sugar syrup of one string consistency.
* Heat up oil in a pan, mix in panch phoron and dry red chillies.
* When it starts to crackle mix in tomatoes and cook.
* Mix in the sugar syrup along with a little salt, dates and little water if required.
* Stir fry till it is dark red in colour and thick.
* Stir and then mix in tamarind pulp.
* Dry roast the panch phoron and grind it to a powder.
* Sprinkle the panch phoron powder over the chutney.