# Urad dal(split white lentil) – 1 cup
# Water – for soaking dal
# Fresh curd(yogurt) – 3 cups + ½ cup
# Salt – ½ tsp or to taste.
# Sugar – ½ tsp or to taste.
# Vegetable oil – for frying.
Ingredients to use while serving -
# Red chili powder – a little
# Cumin powder – 1 tbsp
# Fresh Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp chopped fine.
# Boondi(optional) – 1 tbsp
1. Wash and soak urad dal for 1 hour. Grind to thick paste using a little water. Do not use too much water.
2. Add salt , mix well and keep aside.
3. Take the half cup curd. Beat well, Add 1 cup water, a little salt, cumin powder, sugar. Beat well again and keep aside. This will be used to soak vadas.
4. Beat the curd well, add salt, sugar, a little cumin powder to the curd and mix well. Keep aside. This will be added to vada while serving.
1. Heat oil. Keep a flat pan filled with warm water ready. Once oil is hot, keep heat medium. Drop spoonfuls of batter in the hot oil. Fry till golden brown in color.
2. Remove and drain well. Add the vada to the warm water. This will remove excess oil from the vada.
3. After a minute, Remove each vada from water. Press between your palms lightly to remove water. Add to the watery beaten curd mixture. Let soak for a minute.
4. Remove and put in a flat deep dish where it will remain till serving time.
5. You may put this dish in fridge if you plan to serve later. Follow the steps for each batch of vada. Handle vadas carefully as they will break easily after soaking.
1. Place 2 soaked vadas in a deep dish. Add a ladleful of thick beaten curd. Sprinkle a little chili powder, cumin powder, boondi, coriander leaves. Serve immediately.
2. If you are serving this dish for a party, pour some thick beaten curd mixture on the soaked vadas in the flat dish. Sprinkle with chili powder, cumin powder, boondi and coriander leaves. Place a bowl of beaten curd beside so your guests can help themselves with vadas and the extra curd if they wish.
Though it may seem like a long recipe, it is very easy to make and convenient too.
Do make it and let me know how it came out.