* 4 tender Karelas/ Bitter Gourds
* 2 tbsps vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil
* 6 curry leaves
* 1 tsp cumin seeds
* 1 tsp black mustard seeds
* 2 green chillies slit
* 1 small onion chopped fine
* 1 tsp ginger grated
* 1 tsp garlic paste
* 1 tbsp coriander powder
* 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
* 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
* 1 tsp raw mango powder
* 1 tsp tamarind paste
* 1 tbsp grated jaggery
* Salt to taste
* Chopped coriander leaves to garnish
* Wash the karelas/ bitter gourds well and pat dry. Cut of the top and ‘tail’ of each karela (discard) and then slit vertically down the centre. Use a spoon to scoop out all the seeds from the center. Discard the seeds. Now cut the karela halves into 1/4″ thick pieces. Keep aside to use later.
* Heat the oil in a pan and add the curry leaves, mustard and cumin seeds and green chillies. When they stop spluttering, add the chopped onion and sauté for a minute. Now add the ginger and garlic and sauté for another minute.
* Add the coriander, turmeric, red chilli and raw mango powders and mix well. Sprinkle a little water and sauté for a minute, stirring well.
* Add the karela pieces, tamarind paste and salt to taste, stir and cook till the karela is soft.
* Now add the jaggery and stir. Allow the jaggery to melt and begin to caramalize a little. Turn off fire, garnish with the coriander leaves.
* Serve with hot Chapatis (Indian flatbread)or Parathas (pan-fried Indian flatbread).