The Delhi High Court on Friday rejected the bail application of former telecoms secretary Siddharth Behura, one of the 14 accused in the 2G scam. He has been in jail since February this year. Behura will now approach the Supreme Court on Monday for bail, his legal counsel Aman Lekhi told ET.
Rejection of bail to Behura also weakens the prospects of former telecoms minister A Raja getting bail in the case. So far, Raja had not applied for bail, and it is learnt that the former minister was awaiting the outcome of the bail verdicts of other public servants before filing his petition.
Legal experts ET spoke to said Friday’s verdict would deter Raja from applying for bail. Behura, Raja and the latter’s private secretary RK Chandolia were arrested in February. “The bail application is dismissed,” Justice V Shali said while pronouncing his judgement.
On November 28, Justice Shaili granted bail to five other accused in 2G scam, including DMK MP Kanimozhi and Bollywood filmmaker Karim Morani, but had reserved orders on Behura’s plea. This was because the federal investigating agency had opposed Behura’s bail plea and had told the court that the complicity of public servants should be viewed “seriously.”