For the dough:
2 cups Maida (Plain Flour)
1/4 cup melted Ghee
1/2 tsp Salt
2 cups finely chopped Onions
1 tsp Kalonji (Nigella Seeds)
2 tsp Saunf (Fennel Seeds)
2 Bay Leaves
1/2 tsp finely chopped Green Chillies
2 tblsp Besan (Bengal Gram Flour)
2 tsp Dhania Powder (Coriander)
2 tsp Chilli Powder
1 tsp Garam Masala
3 tblsp Chopped Coriander
2 tblsp Oil
Salt to taste
Oil for frying
How to make pyaz ki kachori :
* To prepare the dough combine all the ingredients in a bowl and knead into a semi soft dough using water. Keep it for 5 – 7 minutes.
* Divide the dough into 12 equal parts and keep them covered under a wet muslin cloth.
* For the onion filling heat oil in a pan.
* Add the kalonji, saunf, bay leaves, green chillies and onions and saute till the onions turn light brownin color.
* Add the besan, coriander powder, chilli powder, garam masala and salt and saute for 2-3 minutes.
* Add the chopped coriander and mix well.
* Remove the bay leaves.
* Allow the mixture to cool completely.
* Divide into 12 equal parts and keep aside.
* To make kachoris roll out each portion of the dough into a 2 inch diameter circle.
* Place one portion of the filling in the centre of the rolled dough.
* Surround the filling with the dough by slowly streching it over the filling.
* Seal the ends tightly and remove excess dough.
* Roll each filled portion into a 2 1/2 inch diameter circle taking care to ensure that the filling does not spill out.
* Gently press the centre of the kachori with your thumb.
* Repeat with the remaining dough and filling.
* Deep fry the kachoris in hot oil over a slow flame till fgolden brown.
* The kachoris should puff up like puris.
* These kachoris take a long time to be cooked in the inside too.
* Serve hot with tamarind chutney and hari chutney.